- 23 Mar 2023
This comprehensive guide aims to help you prepare for the MRCP Part 2 exam. Passing this exam is a crucial step towards obtaining the Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians Diploma and progressing into specialised medical training. The MRCP exam consists of three distinct parts, namely MRCP(UK) Part 1, MRCP(UK) Part 2 Written, and MRCP(UK) Part 2 Clinical (PACES). In order to receive the MRCP diploma, you must pass all three of these parts.
What is the MRCP Part 2?
The MRCP Part 2 exam is a challenging assessment that requires a comprehensive understanding of various medical disciplines. The exam consists of multiple-choice questions, each with a 'best of five' format. This format not only tests a candidate's core knowledge and comprehension but also evaluates their ability to interpret information and solve complex clinical problems.
During the exam, you will be assessed on your capacity to utilise clinical knowledge, make sound clinical judgments, and assume accountability for the following tasks:
- Prioritising diagnostic or problem lists
- Formulating plans for investigations
- Choosing an appropriate approach for immediate management
- Selecting a suitable strategy for long-term management
- Evaluating the prognosis
The questions are typically presented in a clinical scenario, with many including the results of investigations and illustrated with images such as clinical photographs, pathology slides, inheritance trees, ECGs, X-rays, CT and MR scans, and echocardiograms. Candidates must demonstrate their knowledge of patient diagnosis, investigation, management, and prognosis by selecting the best answer from five possible options. While only one answer is correct, the other four options are carefully designed to be plausible distractors.
For each correct answer, candidates are awarded one mark, with no negative marking applied. The results of each examination are benchmarked using a process of test equating, which ensures that the pass mark is adjusted for the difficulty of the paper and the ability range of the candidates. The reliability of every examination is closely monitored to ensure that the results accurately identify those candidates who have achieved the required standard.
The MRCP Part 2 exam is designed to test a candidate's clinical knowledge, reasoning, and problem-solving abilities across a broad range of medical disciplines. The 'best of five' format with illustrated scenarios and images provides a challenging yet realistic simulation of the clinical decision-making process. The careful design of the distractors and the use of test equating ensures that the results of the exam are both reliable and accurate.
The exam's content is based on a blueprint that outlines the papers' composition, including the probable number of questions under each broad clinical topic heading. The blueprint was updated in 2020 to reflect the new terminology used in the new UK Internal Medicine curriculum.
The composition of the papers is as follows:
|Specialty||Number of questions*|
|Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics||18|
|Endocrinology, diabetes and metabolic medicine||19|
|Gastroenterology and Hepatology||19|
|Palliative medicine and end of life care||3|
*This should be taken as an indication of the likely number of questions – the actual number may vary by up to 2%.
A proportion of the questions will be on adolescent medicine.
What are the differences between MRCP Part 1 & 2?
For many doctors seeking to obtain the Membership of the Royal Colleges of Physicians (MRCP) diploma, the Part 2 exam can seem more daunting than Part 1. While both exams are challenging in their own right, there are some key differences between them that can make MRCP Part 2 more difficult for some candidates.
The MRCP Part 2 exam covers a broader range of clinical topics than Part 1, with a focus on more complex and nuanced areas of medical practice. Candidates must demonstrate an in-depth understanding of various specialties, including cardiology, neurology, gastroenterology, and oncology, among others. This requires not only extensive knowledge but also the ability to integrate information from multiple sources and make sound clinical judgements.
MRCP 2 Dates 2023
The MRCP Part 2 exam can be taken during four different periods each year, which are typically scheduled for February, June, September, and December. UK students are charged an application fee of £460, while international students must pay £616. To apply for the exam, you can visit the MRCP(UK) website.
Below are the exam dates, application periods, and result release dates for 2023:
|Exam date||Application period||Results by|
|6 September 2023||3 – 10 July 2023||18 October 2023|
|22 November 2023||18 – 25 September 2023||3 January 2024|
What score do you need to pass MRCP Part 2?
To successfully pass MRCP Part 2, you must obtain a score of at least 454. Your exam results will be determined through the process of equating, which involves a statistical approach to ensure that candidates are evaluated fairly and receive a comparable score based on their performance across different sections of the MRCP exams.
What constitutes a good score in MRCP Part 2?
Obtaining a minimum of 121 correct answers out of the 200 questions is required to achieve the pass mark of 454. However, due to the equating process used in marking, merely reaching this number may not guarantee a pass. Therefore, it's advisable to aim for an overall score between 475 and 575.
To achieve a good score on the MRCP Part 2 exam, effective preparation is crucial. Familiarising yourself with the types of questions that will be presented and practicing with sample questions can help you understand the underlying concepts and improve your chances of selecting the correct answers.
How can Pastest help you pass the MRCP Part 2?
Passing the MRCP Part 2 exam is a significant milestone in the career of any physician. However, preparing for the exam can be a daunting task, especially when you have limited time and resources. Fortunately, the Pastest MRCP 2 resource has got you covered with its comprehensive online revision tool designed to help you pass the MRCP Part 2 exam.
Here are some ways in which Pastest can help you prepare for and pass the MRCP Part 2 exam:
- Largest MRCP Part 2 Question Bank: With over 4,700 MRCP Part 2 questions, Pastest offers the largest question bank on the market. Practise for the exam and improve your knowledge with a range of questions that are regularly updated to reflect current exam trends.
- MRCP Part 2 Past Papers: Simulate the most recent MRCP Part 2 exams with sample papers compiled using expert knowledge. This feature helps you to familiarize yourself with the exam format and build confidence.
- Expanded Explanations: Access everything you need to know about the topic tested in the question vignette. Each Expanded Explanation contains sub-sections so that you can quickly navigate to the information you need.
- Microlearning: a comprehensive, searchable library of Media, Expanded Explanations (written topic summaries) and Flashcards, designed to strengthen your knowledge on hot topics that commonly appear in the MRCP Part 2 exam.
- Detailed, Dynamic Explanations: Make your revision session super-efficient by instantly displaying the information you need to know. This feature saves you time and enables you to focus on the areas that need improvement.
- Data and Image Interpretation Questions: The MRCP Part 2 exam has a lot of images - and so does Pastest! Filter your Qbank session by media content to focus your revision.
- Contextual Clues: Highlight the key information in a question vignette and improve your question analysis skills. This feature helps you to identify critical information quickly and make informed decisions.
- Videos and Podcasts: Strengthen your skills on different exam specialties with a variety of MRCP Part 2 media. These resources provide an additional way to learn and revise exam content.
- More Questions Like This: If a question flags a gap in your knowledge, quickly test yourself by attempting some similar questions before jumping back into your session.
- Extensive Question Filters: Create bespoke MRCP Part 2 revision sessions with filters for specialty, difficulty, and more. This feature enables you to focus on the areas that need improvement and optimize your revision time.
In conclusion, Pastest is an all-in-one solution designed to help you pass the MRCP Part 2 exam.
- 23 Mar 2023